A flagship annual document of the Ministry of Finance, Government of India, Economic Survey 2011–12 reviews the developments in the Indian economy over the previous 12 months, summarizes the performance on major development programmes, and highlights the policy initiatives of the government and the prospects of the economy in the short to medium term. This document is presented to both houses of Parliament during the Budget Session.
With detailed statistical data covering all aspects of the economy—macro as well as sectoral—the report provides an overview of the following issues:
- State of the Indian economy
- Challenges, policy responses, and medium-term outlook
- Fiscal policy and monetary management
- Financial intermediation and the role of markets
- External sector, balance of payments, and trade
- Agriculture, industrial development and services sector
- Energy, infrastructure, and communications
- Human development, climate change and public programmes
- India and the Global Economy
This document would be useful for policymakers, economists, policy analysts, business practitioners, government agencies, students, researchers, the media, and all those interested in the development in the Indian economy.